The Checklist for prepartion for a trip in the snow completes the avalanche pack.
Before you go backcountry attend an AVALANCHE AWARENESS COURSE NZ Mountain Safety Council.
Or A Backcountry Course by Alpine Guides
Have a backpack with: Could you survive a night on the mountain?
- Drink and food (dehydration)
- Spare dry gloves, hat and thermals
- Thermal Survival Bag.(hypothermia)
- 15m rope for white out (tie you together)
- First Aid Kit. (accidents do happen)
- Snow shovel
- And wear a TRANSCEIVER.
- Make sure your gear works, New batteries in transceiver?
- Practice and play hide the transceiver with a friend. In the garden or the carpark before you go out.
- Practice with your shovel and probe.
- Skill & speed saves lives. You only have a short time
- With Ski Patrol for backcountry forecast. (www.avalanche.net.nz)
- the weather, old & new
- the snow layers, weak? Wind loaded?
- the terrain- 37° ? dangerous cornices? Gullies?, cliffs?
- Tell others your plans and expected time home (pink form) knowing the location can save time in a search.
- Go in a group,
- Work as a group
- Keep asking about the snow & the weather.
- It might be a quiet question from the back of the group that alerts everyone to a change in the snow/ weather
IF YOU DON’T KNOW, DON’T GO.
Do you want to buy avalanche safety equipment? Visit Marvelox.
Hire a pack online